Tuesday 5 March 2013

oz the great and powerful -Fun film but could be better

                                               Oz the Great and Powerful (2013) Poster
director-sam raimi
cast-james franco , rachel weisz , michelle williams
genre- action , adventure , fantasy
my rating -7.8/10

I enjoyed this film, and it works well at a prequel to the original film "The Wizard of Oz". The film has many similarities with the style of the original in its story-telling (I won't go into this much as I don't want to spoil it). Generally, it's a fun fantasy-adventure film.

However, some negative points: I found the pacing or editing to be slightly off. The film is just over two hours long, but I felt that it could be a little longer in some scenes and shorter in others. I think they tried to cram too much into the film. Also, I found the characters to be a little wooden. (I thought the acting was generally good, so I am not faulting the acting as I felt the three witches and Oz did a great job.). I was not able to care about the characters as much as I did in the original film. Thirdly, I found the use of CGI to be a little problematic with some of the characters and areas where they were just showing off the CGI. I wish story would be more important than the CGI. 

I think I probably had trouble letting go of the original film and comparing it too much, so please don't try to compare it with the classic film when you see it. However, you will see some clues and similarities with the original film and this one.

1 comment:

  1. Excited to watch the same movie :)
    ________________________
    Watch Hollywood Movies at http://allmoviezlink4you.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete